- Fixed term development opportunity. Learn about palliative care
- Be mentored and trained by experienced palliative care specialists
- Make a difference in the community by supporting patients and whānau
About the role
Harbour Hospice is proud to be part of the Palliative Outcomes Initiative (POI). The programme makes palliative care more widely available in our community by strengthening relationships and collaboration between palliative care specialists and local GPs and residential care facilities.
We have an opportunity for a General Practitioner with Specialist Interest in Palliative Care (GPSI) to work as part of the POI Multidisciplinary Team for a fixed term of either 6 months working 40 hours per week, or 12 months working 20 hours per week.
Reporting to the one of the Medical Team Leaders, you’ll be based at one of our Hospice sites at either Takapuna or Red Beach, but may be required to travel across our catchment area which reaches from the North Shore to Rodney.
The role will have a practice focus on:
- Responding to the palliative care needs of patients in the in-patient units and the community, while working under clinical supervision of the Medical Team
- Providing holistic palliative care to patients, their family and whānau
- Integrating the palliative care knowledge gained into community, district, region and nation-wide health strategies
During this training rotation you will work towards and be supported to complete the Clinical Diploma in Palliative Medicine from the Royal Australasian Chapter of Palliative Medicine.
You will be a medical professional with a strong interest in palliative care and a desire to develop your skills in this area and share the learning with those around you on return to your clinical setting. You will have proven skills in working with a diverse range of providers and be comfortable working across our different areas.
The successful applicant will have:
- Current New Zealand Practicing Certificate from Medical Council of New Zealand
- Fellowship of Royal NZ College General Practitioners, or in training
- Minimum 3 years working experience in the healthcare sector, ideally with some exposure to palliative care
- Strong verbal, written, presentation and education skills
- Experience and competence working within a multi-cultural community, with appreciation of Tikanga Māori
Harbour Hospice is one of the largest hospices in New Zealand, caring for patients and their whānau for almost 40 years. Every day we care for more than 350 people across the North Shore, Hibiscus Coast and Warkworth/Wellsford regions, supporting them at home (or in one of our three sites) to live every moment in whatever way is most important to them.
Our bespoke services, given free of charge, include medical care, spiritual support, physiotherapy, social activities and more.
What’s in it for you?
Our people are at the heart of our organisation. Caring, courageous, compassionate and driven to deliver the best care possible, our people are the reason Hospice has the reputation that it does.
By taking up this opportunity you will join an amazing team who are dedicated and keen to share their knowledge and develop you. You will be part of a well-respected programme that receives great feedback from the community, and you will help Hospice broaden its breadth of services to enable more people to benefit at a time they need it most.
We are open to how this role will work in terms of fixed term length and particular hours. You tell us what will work for you, and we can go from there.
How to apply
For more information or to obtain a position description call Peggy Newton, Recruitment Specialist, on 021 241 5567 or click below to submit your application online. Be sure to include a cover letter about you and why you’d like to join the team.